- TOP >
- Translational Research Unit
Change the drug discovery process
through understanding of disease.
Translational Research (TR) unit has platforms such as molecular pathology, genomics, bioinformatics, proteomics and cell biology. We aim to understand disease mechanisms through multimodal analysis and close collaboration of researchers with high technological capabilities and expertise.
Translational research platforms linking
clinical / non-clinical research to drug development
TR is research that translates the results of basic research into clinical settings, and feeds back the knowledge and challenges obtained from clinical perspectives to preclinical research, leading to the development of next-generation treatment and diagnostic measures. Daiichi Sankyo RD Novare is taking on the challenge of building a new drug discovery process that contribute to create innovative new drugs as a top-class domestic firm with the research functions required for TR. In addition, by establishing state-of-the-art facilities and security environments and ensuring high reliability, we have established a system for handling clinical samples, related information, and obtained analytical data, and are promoting the creation of a research foundation that can effectively analyze valuable and small amounts of clinical samples.
"Drug Discovery Starting with Disease"
Pharmaceutical R&D takes a huge amount of time and money, and the probability of success is by no means high. In addition, the need for treatment suitable for personals is increasing, and a breakthrough in the drug discovery process is awaited. Accordingly, Daiichi Sankyo RD Novare will take on the challenge of drug discovery that begins with diseases. We aim to build a new drug discovery process that enables us to quickly deliver safe and highly effective drugs to patients by analyzing patient blood and tissue (clinical samples), understanding the mechanism of the disease and the mechanism of the drug's responsiveness, and through scientific verification.
Features of TR Units
TR Platform that Understands Disease and Drives Drug Discovery Process Transformation
- Specimen preparation
- Histopathological analysis
- Electron microscopy
- Special stains
- Multiplex IHC
- Pathological image analysis
- Flow cytometry
- Cell sorting
- Genome editing
- Genome-wide CRISPR/
- Single cell analysis
- Mass sectrometry
- High-sensitivity immunoassay
- Multiplex immunoassay
- Automated Western blot
- Next-generation sequencing
- Whole genome, epigenome, transcriptome analysis
- Single cell analysis
- Gene expression analysis
- Quantitative PCR
- Digital PCR
- Construction of NGS data analysis pipeline
- Omics data analysis
- Large-capacity data storage
- High Performance Computing
Advanced analytical capabilities
We have the functions for exploring biomarkers, analyzing drug efficacy and resistance mechanisms using the TR platform, which is able to analyze small amount of valuable samples from patients. Through collaboration among researchers in various specialized fields, including bioinformatics, from the planning stage, we realize appropriate handling of clinical samples according to the purpose of analysis and multimodal analysis.
We are strengthening and expanding our genomics research platform by introducing the latest next-generation sequencer (NGS) and automated sample preparation system. We also possess one of the top research platforms among domestic pharmaceutical companies, including an IT system for analyzing and managing the enormous amount of genomic data that can be obtained, and a robust security environment.
Highly specialized researcher
Our strengths lie in our technological capabilities to generate high-quality data from small quantities of samples by utilizing the technologies and knowledge cultivated in drug discovery research for the analysis of clinical samples. Highly specialized researchers with a wealth of knowledge and experience in human pathology are engaged in the analysis of clinical samples.
Aiming to understand disease from a pathological perspective
- We can provide a full range of pathological analysis from preparation of histology specimens such as embedding, sectioning, and staining to histopathological microscopy. We are applying Multiplex fluorescent immunohistochemistry to micro-environmental analysis of tumor tissue. We provide appropriate samples for genomic / proteomic analysis, which is our strength. For example, we perform macro/micro dissection of the tumor tissue of patients to prepare the sample to be served for genetic expression analyses using NGS.
Specimen preparation / histopathological analysis / electron microscopy / immunostaining / special stains / Multiplex IHC / pathological image analysis
Clinical sample analyses at cellular level
- We are developing cell analyses platforms for clinical samples. Depending on the purpose of analysis, cells are prepared from clinical samples and used for flow cytometry analysis, drug sensitivity analysis, multi-omics analysis, single cell analysis, etc.
- Integrated analyses are performed at the cell level. For example, analysis of correlation between expression of target protein and drug sensitivity, as well as profiling of T-cells, B-cells, DCs, and immunocomponent cells in cancer tissue, lead to an understanding of the mechanism of the effectiveness and side effects of drugs and of acquiring resistance.
- We apply genome editing technology and conduct functional analysis of genomes at the cell level.
Flow cytometry / cell sorting / genome editing / Genome-wide CRISPR/Cas9 screening / Drug sensitivity analysis
Application of proteomics / protein analysis technologies based on abundant experience to translational research
- We use a sophisticated proteomics platform based on mass analysis to conduct comprehensive qualitative and quantitative analysis of proteins. We have capabilities to quantitatively and simultaneously analyze about 10,000 proteins from several μg of cell or tissue extracts and about 6,000 proteins from several formalin-fixed tissue sections.
- We possess unique analytical platforms such as high-sensitivity immunoassay, Multiplex immunoassay and automated Western Blot as quantitative analysis platforms for targeted protein.
- Combining chemical synthesis and molecular biology technologies, we are promoting world-leading chemical biology research, including identification of action points for small molecular compounds, identification of antigens for antibodies, and search for interacting protein.
Mass spectrometry / High-sensitivity immunoassay / Multiplex immunoassay / Automated Western blot
Promoting translational research through advanced and sophisticated genomic analysis
- We have a variety of genetic analysis techniques to explore mechanism of action and biomarkers of the drug.
- In particular, analysis using NGS has become essential for TR, and we are using it for comprehensive genomic analysis, as well as for the analysis of epigenomes, which are important as a regulatory mechanisms for genes, with the aim of understanding various mechanism of disease.
- By making full use of these multi-layered, advanced genomics technologies, as well as aggressive automation, we are able to realize a highly reliable, high-throughput, and stable analysis environment.
Next-generation sequencing / whole genome, epigenome, transcriptome analysis / single cell analysis / gene expression analysis / quantitative PCR / digital PCR / FISH
Realization of highly reliable translational research working together with the genomics team
- High-quality data is essential for reliable research. We participate in research using NGS from the planning stage and work together with researchers in the genomics team to establish quality standards and examine appropriate analytical methods to acquire and analyze high-quality data.
- In order to analyze the enormous amount of data generated in genomics experiments in a short period of time, we are building a high-performance computing environment that consists of a large amount of data storage and high-performance computing servers within the company. External supercomputers are also used depending on the application and calculation amount.
- Genomics analysis in TR handles human genome information that corresponds to a personal identification code. We have established a reliable control system from both hardware and software perspectives, and are operating it appropriately.
Construction of NGS data analysis pipeline / Omics data analysis / Large-capacity data storage / High Performance Computing