- TOP >
- Translational Research Unit
Transformation of the Drug Discovery Process by Understanding Disease.
The Translational Research (TR) Unit has platforms such as molecular pathology, genomics, bioinformatics, proteomics, and cell biology. Through close collaboration and multidisciplinary analysis of researchers with high technical expertise and expertise, we aim to understand the disease.
Translational research platform that connects
clinical / non-clinical research to drug development
TR is a research that bridging the results of basic research to clinical practice and feeding back knowledge and challenges gained from clinical perspectives to nonclinical research, thereby leading to the development of next-generation therapies and diagnostics. As a leading company in Japan with the research functions required for TRs, Daiichi Sankyo RD Novare is challenging to create new drug discovery processes that contribute to the creation of innovative drugs. In addition, by developing state-of-the-art facilities and security environments, and ensuring high reliability, we are creating a research infrastructure that can effectively analyze valuable and trace clinical specimens by developing a system that can handle clinical specimens, associated information, and data obtained for analysis.
"Drug Discovery Starting from Disease:"
Pharmaceutical research and development takes a huge amount of time and cost, and the probability of success is never high. There is also a growing need for individually personalized therapy, and breakthroughs in the drug discovery process are awaited. Thus, Daiichi Sankyo RD Novare challenges "drug discovery starting from diseases." Through analysis of human blood and tissues (clinical samples), we aim to create a new drug discovery process that allows patients to receive safe and highly effective drugs within a short period of time after understanding the mechanisms of disease and the mechanisms of drug responsiveness and scientific verification.
Characteristics of the TR Unit
TR Platform to Understand Disease and Drive Drug Discovery Process Transformation
- Specimen preparation
- Histopathological analysis
- Electron microscopy
- Special stains
- Multiplex IHC
- Pathological image analysis
- Flow cytometry
- Cell sorting
- Genome editing
- Genome-wide CRISPR/
- Single cell analysis
- Mass sectrometry
- High sensitivity ELISA
- Multiplex ELISA
- Western Blot
- Next-generation sequencing
- Whole genome, epigenome, transcriptome analysis
- Single cell analysis
- Gene expression analysis
- Quantitative PCR
- Digital PCR
- Construction of NGS data analysis pipeline
- Omics data analysis
- Large-capacity data storage
- High Performance Computing
Advanced analytical capabilities
We have the functions of searching for biomarkers, analyzing drug efficacy mechanisms, and analyzing drug resistance mechanisms using the TR platform, which is required for analyzing valuable and trace samples derived from patients. From the stage of experimental design, we are working together between researchers in each specialty, including bioinformatics, to ensure proper handling of clinical specimens and multimodal analysis according to the purpose of analysis.
By introducing the latest next-generation sequencer (NGS) and promoting the automation of specimen processing, we are enhancing the genomics technology infrastructure. We also possess top-level research platforms among domestic pharmaceutical companies with IT systems for analyzing and managing the massive amounts of genomic data obtained as well as a robust security environment.
Our strength lies in our technical capability to generate high quality data from miniscule amounts of specimens utilizing techniques and knowledge cultivated through drug discovery research in the analysis of clinical specimens. Clinical specimens are analyzed by highly specialized researchers with extensive knowledge and experience in human pathology.
Aiming to understand disease from a pathological perspective
- It is possible to consistently perform histopathological analysis by microscopic observation from the preparation of pathological specimens such as embedding, thin section, and staining of specimens. Multiple fluorescent immunostaining (Multiplex fluorescent immunohistochemistry) has been applied to analyze the microenvironment of cancer tissues. We provide appropriate samples for genomic / proteomic analysis, which is our strength. For example, the target site for analysis is isolated from patient cancer tissues, and gene expression analysis is conducted with NGS.
Specimen preparation / histopathological analysis / electron microscopy / immunostaining / special stains / Multiplex IHC / pathological image analysis
Challenging single-cell analysis of clinical samples
- We are developing an infrastructure for analysis on the cellular level using clinical specimens. Clinical samples are sorted on a cellular level for analytical purposes and provided for multiomics analysis and single cell analysis.
- Various analyses are conducted on the cellular level. For example, analysis of ADC target proteins represented by trastuzumab deruxtecan (DS -8201) and profiling of immune cells such as T cells, B cells, and DC leads to the understanding of drug effects and mechanisms of adverse reactions / resistance acquisition.
- Genome editing technology is applied to perform functional analysis of genes at the cellular level.
Flow cytometry / cell sorting / genome editing / Genome-wide CRISPR/Cas9 screening / single cell analysis
Application of proteomics / protein analysis technologies based on extensive experience to translational research
- Using advanced proteomics platforms based on mass spectrometry, we conduct comprehensive qualitative and quantitative analysis of proteins. About 10,000 proteins can be quantitatively analyzed from several μg of cell or tissue extract, and about 6,000 proteins can be quantitatively analyzed simultaneously from several formalin-fixed tissue sections.
- In terms of quantitative analysis platforms for targeted proteins, we have analytical technologies such as highly sensitive ELISA, multiplex ELISA, and Western blot.
- By combining chemical synthesis and molecular biology technologies, we are promoting state-of-the-art chemical biology research worldwide, including identification of the points of action of small molecule compounds, identification of antigens for antibodies, and exploration of interacting proteins.
Mass sectrometry / high sensitivity ELISA / Multiplex ELISA / Western Blot
Promoting translational research through advanced and sophisticated genomic analysis
- We have a variety of genetic analysis techniques that are required to explore the mechanism of action and biomarkers of drugs.
- In particular, NGS analysis is essential for TR, and it is used in epigenomic analysis, which is important as a mechanism for gene control with the aim of conducting comprehensive genetic analysis as well as elucidating the mechanisms of various diseases.
- By utilizing these multi-layered advanced genomics technologies and actively performing their automation, we are achieving a highly reliable, high-throughput, and stable environment for analysis.
Next-generation sequencing / whole genome, epigenome, transcriptome analysis / single cell analysis / gene expression analysis / quantitative PCR / digital PCR / FISH
Realization of highly reliable translational research with the genomics team
- High quality data is essential for highly reliable research. Participating in NGS-based research from the planning stage and working together with genomics team researchers to establish quality standards and study appropriate analytical methods, we are acquiring and analyzing high-quality data.
- In order to analyze the massive amounts of data generated in genomics experiments, we have built a high-performance computing environment consisting of large-volume data storage and a high-performance computing server. In addition, we also utilize external super-computers depending on their applications and calculations.
- Genomics analysis in TR deals with human genome information that corresponds to the personal identification code. From both hard and soft perspectives, we have established and appropriately operationalized a reliable management system.
Construction of NGS data analysis pipeline / Omics data analysis / Large-capacity data storage / High Performance Computing